Monday 1 April 2013

Current TV Favourite - Nashville


I love American TV. Don't get me wrong, I think British TV is great too, but I definitely watch US shows more religiously than any others.

It was a sad year last year when several of my favourite long-running programmes ended (House, One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl - I'm looking at you). A couple of weeks ago I read that 90210 is coming to an end and I'm guessing that How I Met Your Mother will be on the way out soon too (surely they can't drag it out much longer?). So! I've been on the hunt for a new show to fill the hole.

I think I've found it in Nashville. It is described as a 'musical drama series' and stars Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere (Heroes fans will remember Hayden as the cheerleader with pretty swish healing powers) as two rival country music singers. 

I imagine some people might be put off by the 'musical' element, but I urge you to watch before passing judgement - it's not like Glee or similar shows, where the music is used as part of the narrative or people break into song in the middle of school corridors or shopping malls. It's much more 'real' than that, and the songs are genuinely good! There are also some really strong performances (both acting and singing) from the supporting cast - fellow Brit Sam Palladio is particularly great (and he's not too bad on the eyes either...).

If this sounds like your type of thing, give it a watch - it's on More 4 on Thursdays at 10pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment